Kerala is one the most beautiful state of India and it won’t be wrong for me to say it is truly “Gods own country”. Kerala has its own unique tradition and mesmerizing culture and is gifted with lots of attractive tourist destination with such beaches, lush green paddy fields, Historical forts, hill stations, lakes, backwaters, bird and wild life sanctuaries etc. The most amazing thing about them is, each of these stunning locations is only a 2-3 hours drive from the other –such feature is hard to find.
The coastal state is also known for cultivating precious cash crops like rice, tea, rubber, cardamom, coffee and cashew nut, mussel farming etc. But the thing that’s most attractive among tourist is its shallow lakes & backwaters which will give you a time travelling experience; you will give you a feeling like the time has stopped churning at this place as you could still see traditional houseboats “kettuvallam”. Kerala also offers lots of activities for the tourist’s such as Canal cruise, Trekking & rafting, Getting ayurvedic treatment, backwater cruises etc.
So here’s our top 5 places to see in kerala :
(1) Munnar: Munnar is unquestionably one of the most well renowned hill stations placed in Southern India. It is positioned at around 1,600metres over sea level, in the Western Ghats in Idukki district of Kerala. It is 266 km at a distance from the state capital “Thiruvananthapuram”. This stunning hill station allures nature admirers from all parts of the world. Large tea plantations, exotic fauna, deep forests, hills, valleys, mountain ranges and wildlife will make anyone fall in love with this place. There are lots of places you can explore here in Munnar that would serve travelers ample opportunities to relish the captivating hill station such as: Eravikulam National Park, Indo Swiss Dairy Farm, Chinnar Wild Life Sanctuary, Anamudi, Tata Tea Museum, Idukki Arch Dam etc.
(2) Thekkady: Thekkady is without a doubt the best place in Kerala to experience wildlife, which is why it’s a dream destination for tourists who seek to enjoy wildlife and nature to the fullest. Thekkady lies in the idukki district which is about 205 kms from the capital city Thiruvananthapuram. From huge Indian elephants to the Great Indian Tiger, this place has it all. Elephants, lion tailed macaques, Deers, bisons, and boars can easily be sighted in the reservoir area. Thekkady is blessed with treasures of tropical flora and is the habitat of many near extinct species and a rich tribal culture. The place worth watching in thekkady is Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary which is among one of the best wildlife sanctuary of India.
(3) Alappuzha Backwaters: Recognized as the 'Venice of the East' by tourists from across the world, Alappuzha is a district that is blessed enormous natural beauty. Cuddled by the Arabian Sea in the west and a vast network of shallow beautiful lakes, lagoons and freshwater rivers zigzagging it, this backwater country is the habitat of some the unique & rarest species of animal and bird life. By virtue of its closeness to the sea, the town has always cherished its major role in the maritime history of Kerala. Alappuzha is also famous for its thrilling boat races, beautiful beaches, marine products and coir industry, the distinctiveness of this land is the region called Kuttanad - a place of lush green paddy fields often referred as the 'Rice Bowl of Kerala' it is one of the very few places in the world where farming is practiced below sea level. This ancient trading and fishing hub is today a world recognized backwater tourist destination.
Places to see: Alappuzha Backwaters, Alappuzha Beach, Pathiramanal Island, Karumadi kuttan, Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Chambakulam Church, Chambakulam Local Market, QST & R Block Kayal
(4) Vagamon: Vagamon is a beautiful hill station situated in Kottayam- Idukki border of Kerala. It has a cool & pleasant climate with the temperature falling between 10-23°C during summer days. It is placed at around 1,100 meters above sea level. Vagamon is a small plantation locality in Central Travancore, Vagamon is colored with a tone of green with a ever-lasting line of lush green hills, breathtaking canyon and twisting rivulets. Vagamon hill station is covered with stunning series of hillocks, beautiful valleys and cascading waterfalls that make it the perfect doorway for tourists. Try taking a walk along the steep, mist covered crisscross roads that wrap up the hills and you would feel like you are in paradise. For adventure seekers, there is always a choice of trekking, para gliding or rock climbing.
Places to see : Vagamon Kurisumala, Muruganmala, Thangal Para, Kurisumala Ashram, Pine Forest, Green Meadows, Rocky out crop, Tea estate.
(5) Cochin/Kochi - The beautiful city of Kochi or Cochin is a complete tourist's paradise. Surrounded by the Western Ghats on the east and the amazing Arabian Sea in the west, Kochi holds a very strategic and important position and has been a significant trading sector and appealing tourist destination since ancient time. Lush green mangroves, tall slanting coconut tress reflected in the see through waters of backwaters, ancient historical churches, cathedrals and momentous fort are few things you won’t be able to resist yourself from. There is also much adventurous stuff to do for adventure seekers in Cochin such as Wind surfing, sailing and power boating. Kochi has something for everyone which is why it’s a perfect tourist destination you do not wanna miss.
Places to see : Kochi fort, museum of Kerala history, Willingdon Island, S.t Francis Church, Pareekshith Thampuran Museum, Jewish Synagogue, Marine Drive, Mattancherry Palace, Cochin Backwaters, Bolgatty palace.